It’s healthier than cereal, easier than pancakes, and it can last all week. Bake a big batch and your family will be filling up on healthy grains for days. I am by no means a cook, but this recipe is super simple, nutritious, and plain ol’ delicious. Here are ten reasons why oatmeal bake is a fantastic food to share with your family. (Recipe included)!
10 Reasons to Make Some Oatmeal Bake
- It’s easy. Moms need quick and simple! This recipe fits the bill. A 9×13 pan batch can be whipped up in about 10 minutes or less. The oven does the rest.
- The ingredient list is minimal. Delicious oatmeal bake can be created from only six ingredients with items you most likely already have in your refrigerator and pantry.
- You can customize the recipe. Add a favorite spice, substitute some sweetener here, take out some butter there. Bake to your taste, and don’t worry about “messing up” the meal. This stuff is so mighty, it comes out great every time.
- It’s healthy. Feed your family with confidence. They’ll be fueling their little bodies with whole grains, proteins, and healthy fats.
- It stores well. Transfer the oatmeal bake from your baking pan to your favorite food storage container and refrigerate it for a whole week. You’ll be set for many more mornings.
- It can be served in unlimited ways. Hot or cold, in a bowl with milk, plain on a plate, drizzled with syrup, topped with fruit… or any way you like.
- It’s easy to clean up. Confession: one of the biggest reasons I like this meal is because it is so easy to clean up after making AND serving it. There’s one mixing bowl and one baking pan. And after the toddler has had his fill, all I need to do is sweep up the crumb zone beneath the table. No wiping, no stickies, no goopies.
- Enjoy it for a snack. Oatmeal bake is a great option for a quick snack or that after-school hunger, too.
- The kids can help make it. It’s easy and fun. The little ones can help mix (and taste) and decide which spices and flavors to include.
- It’s delicious! I guess that’s obvious, but boy, does this stuff hit the spot.
So there you have it: 10 reasons why oatmeal bake is a mighty meal option. Here is the recipe (open for preference and change, of course)!
- 1 stick of butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 4 1/2 cups of rolled oats
- 3/4 cup of sweetener (brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, cane sugar, etc.)
- Cinnamon to taste (I never measure… start with 1 Tablespoon)
- Any other spices to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place stick of butter in a 9×13 baking pan and set it in the oven to let the butter melt.
- Meanwhile, grab a mixing bowl and beat the three eggs. Add the milk; stir. Dump in the oats and add the sweetener. Mix it together. Add your spices.
- Retrieve the melted butter from the oven. Pour the butter from the baking pan into the mixing bowl. Mix it all together, and have a little taste test. Add more cinnamon, sweetener, or other spices to taste, if needed.
- Pour the oatmeal “batter” back into the baking pan, and spread it out flat in the pan. Place it in the oven and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Once it’s baked, let it cool for about 5 minutes, then slice and serve.
I hope you can try this recipe! Besides all the reasons listed above, I also enjoy oatmeal bake because it reminds me of the simplicity and beauty of God’s creation. Oats from the fields, eggs from chickens, milk and butter from the cows, and spices from trees and plants: it’s all a gift from God. We are so blessed to have all these amazing foods at our fingertips and be able to make a scrumptious meal for our precious little ones. Enjoy!